Thursday, July 4, 2013

Walking in my own footsteps

I'm taking a course on Digital  Literacy which contains study on building a responsible digital image and internet safety. One of the requirements is to see what your own digital footprint is on the WWW by using a tool like google search , pipl,etc.
 I had to laugh.

  1. About the existence of   so many Donna L. Websters in the world. I already knew this because I belong to a fb group of people who are named Donna L Webster. We may all be as individual as snowflakes, but we are all snowflakes.
  2. That my masterpiece of an allegorical fantasy  novel that I poured heart and soul into writing, The Princess and Her Defender has a large presence on up to 10 Google Search pages connected with my actual name. It is being marketed online in Australia, Britain and even currently on Ebay. It makes it sound so big, and yet I've never earned one check of royalites from that book because it hasn't netted enough in sales for the check to be cut and sent to me . (Must be at least $30 dollars. )I wrote it so that others could read it and receive the hope that is woven throughout the book. I don't think it has been read as widely as the web search makes it seem. Either way, it makes me laugh.
  3. The idea of having a record of my past addresses and phone numbers appeals to me as I grow older and my brain takes such a long time recalling what it considers irrelevant info that most governmental paperwork requires. 
What is there to be happy about in all of this? My digital footprint reminds me  remarkably lof  how I walk down the street calmly when I see a ploice car I don't have to run because I am not guilty of breaking the law. Have I ever accidentally clilcked on the wrong link? Sure. Signed up for an annoying email? Sure.I'm happy that my digital life reflects my real life. That's integrity, courtesy of  the Grace of God who has created me.

No comments:

Post a Comment